Saturday, September 27, 2008

What a difference a day makes!

I called the ICU unit at the hospital this morning before I went over there. I wanted to see how Don had done during the night. They actually let him talk to me, and I knew immediately that he had improved. They had him up sitting in a chair before I went in, and they had removed the two garden hose-sized drains that they had inserted in his lower chest after surgery. He couldn't eat breakfast, because he was nauseous, but he was hungry and ready to go by lunch. He ordered a cajun spiced grilled chicken sandwich with pepper jack cheese! He ate it and really enjoyed it. Dondra came over a little after I got there. J & J brought the four younger kids over, and Pa really enjoyed his time with the grands. Because it's the weekend and the doctor had said hubby could be moved from ICU as soon as a room's available, they loosened the rules a bit for us today. While the rest of us went down to the cafeteria for a snack, the nurses got D. up and walked him just a bit. He ordered tilapia for supper and sat up in a chair to eat. The doctors are very surprised at his speedy progress. They're hoping to have a free bed in the step-down area by Monday, and we're looking forward to that. Actually, Don's been telling people that he expects to be sent home on Monday. I asked him if the doctor had told him that, and he said, "No, but I'm STILL expecting to go home on Monday!" His voice is still quite weak and hoarse, but he's getting stronger by the hour. I married a wonderful guy, and God has proven Himself faithful to us once again.

2 comments:

dulce de leche said...

I am so glad to hear how well he is doing! The spicy foods made me smile. Much love to you all and our prayers for continued speedy recovery.

LissaLou said...

It sounds like Uncle Don is truly recovering quickly. I'm so glad to hear it!