Saturday, September 13, 2008

Old dogs - New tricks

I feel like I've been running for two days. Yesterday, Don got up early and went with a friend to Sam's to pick up supplies for a taco dinner the men of the church are hosting today. He had been home about an hour when we turned around and went back to St. Louis for his doctor appointment. We were home by 3:30, but had to be at the church at 5:30 to head over to St. Peters for the "I Promise" Marriage Seminar. We were home about 11:45, back up at 5:30 a.m. and heading back over to St. Peters by 7 a.m. Home about 1:30 p.m., stopped at Si Senor for lunch (which a young couple who had attended the seminar graciously bought for us), then Don headed back to the church to help with the taco dinner. Following that, he has to go play his banjo for a friend's anniversary celebration. I, at least, was able to grab a short nap this afternoon, but Don's been in a constant run.

The Seminar was great, but much of it was a repeat for Don and myself. We've taught on "Love is a Decision", "Keys to a Loving Relationship", and "The DNA of Relationships" - all by Smalley, and probably more, which I've forgotten. What surprised me was how much of it I still haven't applied to my life and our marriage. Oh, I'll be circumspect for a few days and very careful of my words, attitude and actions, but I still have my slip-ups. The wonderful thing about that is the fact that I AM still working on being better. I haven't given up on myself. And every time we attend something like this, I realize that I have made progress. I'm certainly not what I was at 30 years of age. I'm definitely a better wife in many ways. So that gives me hope.

Don and I have been married 42 years now, and I can tell you, speaking from experience, that a marriage can improve with the years. In fact, it SHOULD improve with the years. We've worked hard on growing together instead of apart. We've each learned to value the other for who they are. I appreciate his graces and do my best to minimize his faults (of which there are few, believe me), and he's kind enough to do the same for me.

I'll be the first to admit that some problems jump up out of nowhere and bite you in the rear. But most altercations can be avoided, especially if you have a good man. I was only 18 when we married, and surprisingly naive - and, okay I'll admit it, stupid. But life with my best friend and honey has proven to me that it's possible to get it right the first time. Thank heavens, because I'd sure hate to think all these years of trying to improve myself were for nothing!

No comments: