Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Big Decision

Don and I go tomorrow to have a conference with a thoracic surgeon at Barnes/St. Peters. The neurologist thinks it's imperative for Don to have his thymus gland removed. It won't cure the illness he has, but it may impede the progress. If it would help, we're for it. However, in order to remove the thymus gland (which is a sheath over the heart), they have to split the sternum, just like they do in major heart surgery. We're NOT for that. So, our neurologist has found a thoracic surgeon who does the surgery arthroscopically (is that how you spell it?). Anyway, through little incisions in the chest to insert instruments. We would be more in favor of that procedure, but it's still a major surgery. This surgeon is one of a mere handful that does the surgery this new way, and Don may not even be a candidate. So - big decision tomorrow. I would love to see Don's symptoms ease up some. By the end of most days, walking is such a labor for him. However, I don't want to have him suffer through a procedure that isn't going to be beneficial in the long run. I would love for God to just flash the answer to this dilemma across the sky or write it on the wall like He did in Bible days, but my suspicion is that it will be that still small voice of assurance that we're doing the right thing. Just hope we're quiet enough to hear it.


dulce de leche said...

Sending lots of hugs to you and praying for you. We love you!

Blessed Mama said...

We'll be praying too. Thanks for the update.

Stephanie said...

Praying for you today!