Wednesday, September 10, 2008

About Face!

My doctor called me this evening just before church. I told him I was upset and explained why. He told me that, honestly, my numbers weren't high enough to make me "officially" diabetic, but I was headed in that direction. Can you believe that? I think there's a huge difference, and it isn't just the difference in semantics. I've had the tendency for my sugar to be a bit high ever since my first pregnancy 41 years ago. If it takes another 40 years for me to become a full-fledged diabetic, I won't even care by then. I did my best to state my feelings about his having put the phrase "non-insulin dependent diabetic" on my records when it isn't true. Although he keeps insisting it WILL be true someday, I stood my ground. He finally changed the word "diabetic" to "hyperglycemic". Now, I don't know exactly what difference it will make in getting new (cheaper) insurance, but the insurance broker assures me it WILL make a difference. I think my doctor has a better understanding of me as a person now. I told him not to ever beat around the bush with me - be straightforward and blunt, if necessary. Just tell me the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!

I thought it was nice of him to call and even nicer for him to do an about face on what he had written. Now I'm hoping it's helpful in my quest for a cheaper insurance company. Good luck to me!

No comments: