Sunday, November 2, 2008

Kids Say the Oddest Things!

Today was a very busy day for hubby and me. First of all, our younger grandson spent the night. We love having him with us, but he didn't know what kind of Sunday he was going to be in for! To get the day off to the perfect start, we forgot to change our clocks. I was slipping out of bed at what I thought was 7:30 to shower and get ready for church. Grandson lifted his head and looked at me, and I knew he was already raring to go. About the time I was getting myself ready for a good wake-up shower, I realized that it was actually 6:30 in the morning. Whew! That's early for an old lady! Oh, well. Too late to worry about it by then.

We never eat at home on Sunday mornings, because we pick up donuts for our class at Farm Fresh on the way to church, and someone else always brings goodies (we have a sign-up list). So grandson had a perfectly nutritious (?) breakfast of donuts and milk. After he spilled his entire cup of hot chocolate on the carpet in our classroom, we settled in for the lesson (which he dutifully took notes on during the whole class!). We left our church right after class and headed to my mom's church for Reunion Sunday. The singing and preaching were good, and we enjoyed the service. After a wonderful dinner with Mom and her church folks (including some of our pastors from ages ago and my sis and her husband), we headed for home. Don was there about 15 minutes before he had to leave for Nursing Home Sunday. He arrived home from the nursing home in time to rest about 45 minutes, and we had to go to the funeral home to pay our respects to the family of a 42-year-old man who had taken his life by overdosing on drugs. Pretty sad.

I didn't realize that our grandson had never been to a viewing before. When we walked in, we told him to sit on the back pew and that we would join him in just a few minutes. We walked up to the casket (grandson informed us that MOST people call them coffins), spoke to members of the family that we knew, and went back to the pew to join grandson. He was very polite and quiet and seemed to not be disturbed in the least by what was going on.

We got in the car to go to Culvers before taking him home, and the questions started.

GS: Granny, that was kinda weird.

ME: Why, honey?

GS: Well, I could see that guy's head, and it looked like he was smiling.

ME: Oh, really? I didn't notice that.

GS: Granny, did he have any clothes on?

ME: Sure, honey. He had on a nice white shirt, a tie and a dark jacket.

GS: Where'd he get them?

ME: His family probably picked them out for him.

GS: What if they didn't pick him out anything. Would they just bury him naked?

ME: I never thought about it, but I don't think anyone would be buried naked.

GS: Then, is it against the law?

ME: Well, I don't know that's it's really against the law, but I've never heard of it.

GS: Then, somebody really COULD be buried totally naked?

ME: (Conceding defeat) I guess they could, but it would be kind of sad.

GS: Why would it be sad?

ME: Because it would mean their family must not have loved them very much.

GS: Do you have to pay money for the clothes?

Well, as you can see, this conversation ended up being a rather lengthy one. I couldn't believe it. He's visiting a funeral home and seeing a dead body for the first time in his life, and all he's worried about is making sure the guy had clothes on! Kids never fail to amuse me (and amaze me).

1 comment:

LissaLou said...

This made me laugh! "So he could be buried totally naked?" He's just thinking it through. :o)