Sunday, November 9, 2008

I'm Tired!

I probably shouldn't even be posting tonight, because I feel exhausted - physically, mentally and spiritually. Don's condition has worsened the last few days, and he's fallen twice. The first time he wasn't hurt, but the second time he was going out on Saturday morning to get the paper and fell in the driveway. He hit his head in the left eyebrow area and bled quite a bit, but it isn't serious. The grands were here, and it was a bit upsetting to them to see him hurt, but they handled it well.

I don't mean to complain, because I'm thankful that he isn't in pain and that his illness isn't terminal. But I'm feeling so physically drained. Seems like I have twice the work to do, because I have to help him with everything. He can barely get up the stairs empty-handed, and it's nearly impossible for him to go up stairs with anything at all in his hands. Therefore, I'm having to tote everything that either comes or goes. His spirits are good, but mine are sagging.

We go to the doctor tomorrow for lots of blood work. They're intending to start him on a new treatment since he's worsened since his thymectomy (a disappointment to us and the doctor). It's a bit radical, but it's kind of our last straw. It's called IVIG. We'll go to the hospital for five days in a row for 5 - 7 hours each day. He'll be transfused with immunoglobulin for those hours. They're hoping this treatment will help kill off all the extra antibodies he has in his blood. We'll see.

Okay, I'm done. Now it's time to go upstairs and try to get a good night's sleep (which has been increasingly difficult because he has leg cramps all night long). Tomorrow will surely be a brighter day, and I'll feel stronger. Just needed to unload a bit.

2 comments:

dulce de leche said...

Many, many hugs to you. I am so sorry that you are carrying such a burden, physically and emotionally. I wish I could help. You know, when a young mom is feeling overwhelmed, you always have such wonderful encouragement and also practical suggestions to help her feel pampered. You are also in the situation of caring for someone whom you love with all your heart, but perhaps neglecting your own needs a little in the process. Is there any way you could take off for a few hours and relax? I'll be praying for you guys. We love you lots!

granny2five said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I may just be emotionally drained right now, and that makes everything else a bit more tiring to deal with. I've had to ask forgiveness for my impatience, and I'm starting all over again!