Saturday, January 3, 2009

A Look Forward

This past year has certainly brought some new experiences my way -- and some of them were less than pleasant. As a whole, though, I don't feel I can complain (no one wants to listen anyway). I will confess that I'm praying 2009 is a little kinder to us in some ways. I've learned that good health is a very difficult thing to hold onto, and that it's sorely missed when gone. By the same token, I've learned that, when you love someone, you support them through thick and thin, ups and downs. That's the way I love my hubby, and he loves me that strongly in return. What a blessing!

So, what do I want out of the New Year? I simply must learn to speak less and listen more. I caught myself at different times this holiday season just running off at the mouth. Not necessarily saying bad things, but saying piddly things. I talked to myself more than once during that time and told me to just shut my mouth! My hubby isn't terribly conversational, and I think that affects me sometimes when I get out.

I also want to view everything that happens in my life as being part of God's plan for me and learning the lesson He has for me in it. That includes uncomfortable or even hurtful things. Ouch! That's a hard one for me to keep, because I like to retaliate. Defend myself, you know. I like being in control. I'm honestly working on it this area already, and I've seen some positive results.

Keeping my mind and heart set on positive things is another area where I need lots of work - even at my "advanced" age. Again, I'm working on it. I feel much better when I keep my thoughts under control and don't allow them to completely run me into the ground. God help me!

Looking at these things and knowing my frailty, I know I'm not going to be able to pull it off. But I'm not relying on my own abilities or strengths. My strength is in the Lord, and He's promised to lead me in good paths.

No comments: