Monday, November 22, 2010

I'm How Old?

I will be celebrating my 63rd birthday in a couple days, and I simply can't believe I'm THAT old! I honestly didn't think I'd be here this long. I thought the Lord would come by now, or that I'd simply die of old age at about age 60 or so! Didn't happen, so here I am.

I think I'm finally learning some things now that I'm old and mellow. (I write that with a barely suppressed giggle.) Notice I didn't say that I've learned them, but I am, at least, in the process.

1. I'm learning that my opinion really isn't the only opinion that matters.
2. Family and friends are invaluable, and I need to cherish them and cultivate our relationships more.
3. My faith in a living, loving God can sustain me through all kinds of trauma.
4. Age really doesn't matter in a friendship.
5. I should have taken better care of myself when I was younger - eaten better, exercised more and faithfully, kept my weight in check.
6. I don't have to say "yes" to everyone that asks me to do them a favor. The world actually doesn't stop spinning and throw me off when I say, "No."
7. Time with my honey is priceless, and we don't have to be doing anything special to make it that way.
8. Laughter (a merry heart) really is the best medicine.
9. Don't sweat the small stuff. In the big picture, some things just don't matter.
10. Express your affection in countless ways - words, gifts, hugs and loving deeds.

I know there are a lot more things that I'm either learning or should learn, but these are just a few. Maybe getting older isn't so bad. Perhaps I really will get wiser. Who knows!

1 comment:

dulce de leche said...

You have always shown so much live and wisdom. This us an awesome list. Anyone who follows it will have a rich life.