Saturday, March 21, 2009

An Element of Safety

We met with the counsellor from ALS this week, and the visit was very informative. She came to the house and stayed about 2 1/2 hours. In the course of the conversation, she was asking us what some of our concerns are, and it came out that each time Don has to change his lifestyle to accommodate this disease, he feels like it's a step backwards, and it distresses him. I like what she said. She commented, "You need to change the way you look at it. Instead of feeling it's a digression, simply say to yourself that you're changing your lifestyle to add an element of safety. You're protecting yourself. It's worth the change if it keeps you from falling." Nice way to look at it.

I've had things in life that hit me square between the eyes. Setbacks. Disappointments. I've hurt so deeply that I felt I might never be able to trust again. But I've learned lessons from those times that I would not have learned any other way. I'm actively trying to change the way I view adversity. In learning new lessons, I'm adding an element of safety. I'm protecting myself. Maybe I'll be more cautious next time not to speak so quickly or thoughtlessly. Maybe I'll consider your feelings before I comment. Then again, maybe not! But, if I don't, I can expect to have to make some changes in my lifestyle, because I'll definitely be falling - taken down a notch! Hope I can learn the easy way.

No comments: